- Cooking Time: 30 min.
- Servings: about 1 doz
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- You may either make your own dough or use premade pie crusts.
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 average-size red onion, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 jalapenos, sliced thinly (seeds removed if you don’t want these too hot)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, smashed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- About 2 Tbsp water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cut squash in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds and stringy parts.
- Place face down on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes, until it is easily pierced with a fork.
- When the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and place on a plate, cut side up, to cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté the onions and the jalapenos in the olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened.
- When squash is cool enought to handle, peel the skin and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Add the coriander seeds and garlic to the skillet and sauté for a minute more.
- Add the cumin, salt, and a few splashes of broth or water (about 2 Tbsp).
- Add the squash and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to coat.
- Add the black beans and heat through.
- If the mixture looks dry, add a few more splashes of water.
- Add the lemon juice and the maple syrup, and stir.
- Turn off the heat and prepare the empanada dough.
- You may choose to make your own dough or use premade pie crusts.
- Grease a baking sheet and line with parchment paper also lightly greased, set pan aside.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 9x12-inch rectangle.
- Cut squares about 6 inches, (you don’t have to be exact about it).
- Place about 2 Tbsp filling in the lower half of the dough.
- Fold over the dough so that it is in the shape of a triangle.
- Pinch together the seams with a fork or your fingertips and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Dark chocolate truffle tart with flax seeds
Khatta Meetha Karela
Roasted Butternut Squash SoupSee More