- Cooking Time: 30 min.
- Servings: about 1 doz
- Preparation Time: 30 min
- You may either make your own dough or use premade pie crusts.
- 1 acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 average-size red onion, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 jalapenos, sliced thinly (seeds removed if you don’t want these too hot)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, smashed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- About 2 Tbsp water or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Cut squash in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds and stringy parts.
- Place face down on a greased baking sheet and bake for about 50 minutes, until it is easily pierced with a fork.
- When the squash is cooked, remove it from the oven and place on a plate, cut side up, to cool.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and sauté the onions and the jalapenos in the olive oil for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened.
- When squash is cool enought to handle, peel the skin and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Add the coriander seeds and garlic to the skillet and sauté for a minute more.
- Add the cumin, salt, and a few splashes of broth or water (about 2 Tbsp).
- Add the squash and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often to coat.
- Add the black beans and heat through.
- If the mixture looks dry, add a few more splashes of water.
- Add the lemon juice and the maple syrup, and stir.
- Turn off the heat and prepare the empanada dough.
- You may choose to make your own dough or use premade pie crusts.
- Grease a baking sheet and line with parchment paper also lightly greased, set pan aside.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 9x12-inch rectangle.
- Cut squares about 6 inches, (you don’t have to be exact about it).
- Place about 2 Tbsp filling in the lower half of the dough.
- Fold over the dough so that it is in the shape of a triangle.
- Pinch together the seams with a fork or your fingertips and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More