- Cooking Time: 70-90 minutes
- Servings: 12-16 servings
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes, or so
BackstoryA very tasty cake. Pairs well with cinnamon ice cream!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups plus 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 2 cups of sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice, salt and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread one-third of batter in a greased 10-inch tube pan. Cover with half of the apples. Repeat layers. Spoon remaining batter over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.
- Note: It only took me 70 minutes to bake the cake. After cooling 20 minutes, the cake was too soft and warm to remove from the pan without tearing. I let it cool overnight, and it was very easy to remove.