African Peanut Stew
Why I Love This Recipe
Can be meaty - with chicken - or vegetarian - with garbanzo beans.
Ingredients You'll Need
* 1-2 T olive or canola oil
* 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
* 1 T finely minced ginger root
* 2 tsp. finely minced jalapeno
* salt to taste
* 1 tsp. chile powder
* 2 cups chicken stock
* 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
* 1/4 cp chopped peanuts (optional)
* 2 T tomato paste
* 1 T cider vinegar
* 3 cups diced, cooked chicken roughly chopped, OR 1 can garbanzo beans
* fresh ground black pepper to taste
* 3-4 green onions thinly sliced
Finely chop the red onion, ginger, and jalapeno, and roughly chop the chicken. Heat oil in a heavy pan, add finely diced onion, ginger, and jalapenos, season with salt, and saute about 2 minutes. Add the chile powder, stir into other ingredients, and saute about 1 minute more.
Combine chicken stock, peanut butter, tomato paste, and apple cider vinegar, stir, and bring to a slight boil.
After it boils, lower heat to a very gentle simmer. Add chicken OR garbonzo beans OR a combination of both, gently stir to combine, and let simmer 10-15 minutes.
After 10-15 minutes, gently stir again if the oil from the peanut butter has separated. Serve hot, with a generous handful of green onion slices and peanuts on each serving.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: African