- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy son brought home this recipe when he was in the first grade. His class made this stew in class after reading an African folk story. I have been making this stew ever since. My son is now 21 years old. My family loves it.
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 lbs. Boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- dash of cayenne powder
- 2 cups water 3 cups tomato juice
- Optional cornstarch for thickening
- Brown chicken and onions in oil until completely cooked, stirring frequently. Drain chicken, retaining 2 Tbsp. of oil. Place chicken, oil, and remaining ingredients (except cornstarch) in a large pot. Cover the pot and simmer over medium heat for 45-50 minutes. To thicken stew, blend cornstarch or flour into a small amount of water. Add mixture to stew and continue heating until desired consistency.