- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 lbs. Boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- dash of cayenne powder
- 2 cups water 3 cups tomato juice
- Optional cornstarch for thickening
- Brown chicken and onions in oil until completely cooked, stirring frequently. Drain chicken, retaining 2 Tbsp. of oil. Place chicken, oil, and remaining ingredients (except cornstarch) in a large pot. Cover the pot and simmer over medium heat for 45-50 minutes. To thicken stew, blend cornstarch or flour into a small amount of water. Add mixture to stew and continue heating until desired consistency.
NotesMy son brought home this recipe when he was in the first grade. His class made this stew in class after reading an African folk story. I have been making this stew ever since. My son is now 21 years old. My family loves it.