- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lb Tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 2 tbl Tomato paste
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tbl Olive oil
- 1 Avocado, mashed to a puree
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbl Finely minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot pepper sauce
- 1 Cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Sour cream, plain yogurt, or creme fraiche
- Puree tomatoes in a food processor or food mill, then press through a sieve to remove seeds. In a large mixing bowl, beat the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, buttermilk, and oil. Toss pureed avocado with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to hold the color. Add the avocado, remaining lemon juice, and parsley to the tomato mixture; stir to mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and a generous number of drops of hot pepper sauce. Refrigerate several hours before serving.
- At serving time, taste soup for seasonings. Ladle into individual bowl and have guest garnish their portions with cucumber and sour cream. Pass hot pepper sauce around to add more piquancy.