- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, minced*or 1 tablespoon canned diced green chilies, or more to taste* (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 diced celery stalks, with leaves
- 2 diced zucchini
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or water)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed & drained (I like the red quinoa best, it makes it look pretty!)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a dash of cayenne pepper *optional
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, no honey or sugar (almond butter works equally as well if you're dealing with peanut allergies)
- 1 In a large heavy-bottomed soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. 2 When butter is hot and bubbly, add onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper/chiles, bell pepper, celery, zucchini, sweet potato, cumin and oregano. Saute 10 -15 minutes, or until vegetables are softened.
- 3 Add stock, quinoa, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer until quinoa is cooked and vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4 Add peanut butter, using a wooden spoon to blend in completely, and simmer another 20 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings.
- NB When you refrigerate the leftovers and go to reheat, it will be VERY thick and pasty, and you'll need to add some water to thin it out to your liking.
NotesThis recipe I found on the internet. I used it for the Sept. 2010 challenge in the Bakespace forums. I don't eat quinoa very often, so the challenge was a great way of trying things out. Other peoples recipes are usually a great way of getting familiar with the tastes and textures of a new ingredient before you start experimenting yourself.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More