- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 7 cups filtered water
- 2 4-inch-long sticks of cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- Sugar to taste
- Soak the rice in 3 cups of water for 2 hours
- Break up the cinnamon with a mallet (you don't need to pulverize it, but break it into smallish chunks). Toast the cinnamon over medium heat in a small skillet until slightly toasted.
- Drain the rice and grind in a blender or food processor with the toasted cinnamon and milk.
- Pour the rice/cinnamon/milk mixture through a large mesh strainer into a pitcher. Use a spoon to press the mixture to get every last bit of moisture out. Discard pressed rice.
- Add 4 cups of cold water to pitcher and add sugar to taste.
NotesHorchata is a ground rice drink that is popular in Mexico (and I'm told Spain?). I love it! It os one of my favorite parts about Mexico. Unfortunately, not many state-side Mexican restaurants sell it. This is a little time-consuming to make but well worth it....particularly if you are an Horchata lover like me. :-)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Cashew Macadamia Crunch
IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
Unstuffed CabbageSee More