- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 7 cups filtered water
- 2 4-inch-long sticks of cinnamon
- 2 cups milk
- Sugar to taste
- Soak the rice in 3 cups of water for 2 hours
- Break up the cinnamon with a mallet (you don't need to pulverize it, but break it into smallish chunks). Toast the cinnamon over medium heat in a small skillet until slightly toasted.
- Drain the rice and grind in a blender or food processor with the toasted cinnamon and milk.
- Pour the rice/cinnamon/milk mixture through a large mesh strainer into a pitcher. Use a spoon to press the mixture to get every last bit of moisture out. Discard pressed rice.
- Add 4 cups of cold water to pitcher and add sugar to taste.
NotesHorchata is a ground rice drink that is popular in Mexico (and I'm told Spain?). I love it! It os one of my favorite parts about Mexico. Unfortunately, not many state-side Mexican restaurants sell it. This is a little time-consuming to make but well worth it....particularly if you are an Horchata lover like me. :-)
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More