- Cooking Time: 30-40
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 2 whole salted or dried tilapia
- 1 cup ground agushi powder (http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Agusi)
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1 whole onion, diced or pureed
- 1/3 cup of palm fruit oil (http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2005/september/carotino.htm) or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- if you have salted tilapia, soak it in warm water for 1.5 hours.
- Clean the tilapia and cut it into vertical strips (about 1" wide)
- In a separate bowl, mix in enough water (and a pinch of salt, if desired) to the agushi powder to make it into a paste
- heat oil in a sauce pan
- add fish to the pan and lightly brown on both sides before removing fish and setting it aside.
- Add onions to sauce pan and let them brown
- Add cayenne pepper & tomato paste and let cook for 3 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes & 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add agushi paste plus another 2.5 cups of water to sauce. Cover & simmer for at least 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, if you like, you can add vegetables like brocoli, peas, carrots, and/or asparagus to the stew. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add fish, stir & simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with rice, tamales, or boiled plantains.
Notesit's authentic, different, unique, and I'm making it for dinner tonight.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
NFPG Recipe Collection
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More