- Cooking Time: 30-40
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 2 whole salted or dried tilapia
- 1 cup ground agushi powder (http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Agusi)
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 1 fresh tomato, diced
- 1 whole onion, diced or pureed
- 1/3 cup of palm fruit oil (http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2005/september/carotino.htm) or olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- if you have salted tilapia, soak it in warm water for 1.5 hours.
- Clean the tilapia and cut it into vertical strips (about 1" wide)
- In a separate bowl, mix in enough water (and a pinch of salt, if desired) to the agushi powder to make it into a paste
- heat oil in a sauce pan
- add fish to the pan and lightly brown on both sides before removing fish and setting it aside.
- Add onions to sauce pan and let them brown
- Add cayenne pepper & tomato paste and let cook for 3 minutes
- Add diced tomatoes & 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add agushi paste plus another 2.5 cups of water to sauce. Cover & simmer for at least 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, if you like, you can add vegetables like brocoli, peas, carrots, and/or asparagus to the stew. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add fish, stir & simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve with rice, tamales, or boiled plantains.
Notesit's authentic, different, unique, and I'm making it for dinner tonight.
AMFC Clamily Cook Book
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More