- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 gloves of garlic
- 1 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp White pepper, ground
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- In a mortar and pestle, add salt and garlic together and crush into a smooth paste. (Do not use a wood mortar and pestle)
- Move the salt and garlic mixture to a non-reactive bowl and stir in the Dijon
- Add the lemon juice and 1/4 cup of the olive oil and begin whisking.
- Once the emulsion begins, and this could take a few minutes, slowly begin pouring the remaining olive oil into the mixture in a thin stream while you continue whiskingâ€¦
- The sauce should become white and flowing, not thick and creamy as with mayonnaise.
- Fold in the white pepper.
- Serve over steamed vegetables, crab cakes or poached fishâ€¦
- This makes about 1 cup.
- Blender instructions:
- Place salt, garlic, white pepper, mustard and lemon juice in a blender.
- Add 1/4 olive oil and blend until an emulsion begins to form.
- Remove the pour cap and slowly pour in the remaining olive oil in a thin stream while blending.
- Sauce will become suddenly change color to white and become creamy smooth.
NotesAioli¦ The often-confused condiment¦. Now when I speak of aioli I am talking about the French version from Provence, not the Spanish, Portuguese or other variations on the same theme, which is simply an emulsion of garlic and olive oil. Unlike mayonnaise, aioli contains no eggs, as the garlic itself is capable of providing the emulsion power. Now you can cheat and add a ton of garlic to some mayonnaise, but aioli is supposed to be a sauce, not a spread like mayonnaise. Aioli is served with fish and seafood, as well as steamed vegetables¦. So without further here is a proper recipe for the Sauce Aioli¦ Although I have to admit, even I have cheated here¦ Aioli does not traditionally contain mustard either, but I find that it rounds out the flavor a little¦ This is much easier in a blender (See below)...
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Picnic Chicken SaladSee More