- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstorySummer BBQ, cookouts, grill parties... they're all the rage this time of year. Whether you'll be enjoying burgers, hot dogs, bratwurst or ribs, there's one side dish that can compliment them all. I'm talking about the ever popular potato salad. However not all potato salads are the same. I've had my share of making and eating some flops and fails. Some were too mushy, others were undercooked, even a few that were pretty bland. But I'm happy to share a potato salad winner! This All American Potato Salad is buttery with a slight tang and the perfect dish to share at your next summer potluck...
I've been craving a good potato salad since the summer started. That seemed to be the only dish missing from our recent cookouts and with every gathering we had around the grill, my craving grew. But thankfully my craving has been thoroughly satisfied with the best classic potato salad I've ever had (so far.) The original recipe called for russet potatoes, which I substituted with Yukon Gold potatoes instead. I thought they gave the salad a nice buttery flavor and additional color with the pretty golden hue. The key to this recipe is allowing the potatoes to cool with a little red wine vinegar. Doing so allows the potatoes to absorb the tangy flavors of the vinegar that carries well with the dressing. As for the dressing, it's a straightforward mixture of mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, red onion, Dijon mustard, a few spices, fresh parsley with chopped hard boiled egg thrown in. Delish!
- 2 pounds yukon potatoes (3 to 4 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small minced red onion
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise + more if needed
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs , peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Place potatoes in large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon salt, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to large bowl. Add vinegar and, using rubber spatula, toss gently to combine. Let stand until potatoes are just barely warm or almost fully cooled, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together onion, pickle relish, mayonnaise, mustard powder, celery salt, garlic and onion powders, parsley, and pepper. Using rubber spatula, gently fold dressing and eggs into potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour; serve.
- (Potato salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day.)