ALMOND-CRUSTED FRIED GOAT CHEESE WITH STRAWBERRY-BASIL "SALSA"
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar reduction (or regular vinegar, I just happened to have some reduction left in the fridge)
- small handful of fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 6 oz goat cheese (log)
- 1 egg, beaten
- almonds, ground in food processor
- canola oil - just enough to cover bottom of frying pan
Toss strawberries with vinegar and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Slice goat cheese into 5 rounds. Works best at room temperature, and if you clean knife in between cuts. Carefully dredge each round in flour, then dip in egg, and coat thoroughly with almonds.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat until just smoking. Add coated goat cheese rounds and fry for a few minutes on each side, turning carefully with tongs or a spatula. Remove to a paper towel to let them drain for a minute, but not too long, because they should be served warm.
Add basil to strawberries and toss.
Arrange spinach leaves on each plate and top with a goat cheese round and some of the strawberry mixture.