- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 TB unsalted butter
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cup super fine sugar
- 1 cup Unbleached AP-Flour
- 3 TB dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of Egg Whites at room temperature
- Rum Syrup to soak cake (Recipe below)
- Stabilized Rum Whipped Cream for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line the bottom of a 10-inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Spread almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place the toasted almonds and 3/4 cup sugar in a food processor, and pulse until the mixture is finely ground.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in flour; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan; remove from heat, and stir in rum and vanilla. Let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the tar out of the egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. You can use a copper bowl and a hand mixer if you prefer.
- Gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff glossy peaks.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg-white mixture in three batches, alternating with the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan 20 minutes then turn out cake onto wire rack, and let cool, top-side up.
- Make Rum Syrup and place cake in sheet pan and pour syrup over cooled cake, place in refrigerator over night. If layered cake is desired. Slice horizontally when cool.
- Place cut side up on baking sheet to pour Rum Syrup over cake. Make Stabilized Whipping cream to “Frost” cake.
NotesMakes 1 10 inch cake; Can be left as a single layer or sliced horizontally if layered is desired.
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Hazelnut and Espresso Cookies
Southern Fried Pork Chops
Wine Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Braised Green CabbageSee More