- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMakes 1 10 inch cake; Can be left as a single layer or sliced horizontally if layered is desired.
- 10 TB unsalted butter
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cup super fine sugar
- 1 cup Unbleached AP-Flour
- 3 TB dark rum
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of Egg Whites at room temperature
- Rum Syrup to soak cake (Recipe below)
- Stabilized Rum Whipped Cream for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line the bottom of a 10-inch round cake pan with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Spread almonds in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Place the toasted almonds and 3/4 cup sugar in a food processor, and pulse until the mixture is finely ground.
- Transfer to a bowl, and stir in flour; set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan; remove from heat, and stir in rum and vanilla. Let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the tar out of the egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. You can use a copper bowl and a hand mixer if you prefer.
- Gradually beat in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, beating to stiff glossy peaks.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg-white mixture in three batches, alternating with the butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan, smooth the top, and bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan 20 minutes then turn out cake onto wire rack, and let cool, top-side up.
- Make Rum Syrup and place cake in sheet pan and pour syrup over cooled cake, place in refrigerator over night. If layered cake is desired. Slice horizontally when cool.
- Place cut side up on baking sheet to pour Rum Syrup over cake. Make Stabilized Whipping cream to “Frost” cake.