- Cooking Time: 6 - 8
- Preparation Time:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4 ½ oz (1 cup) finely chopped almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg slightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- ½ tsp salt
- * Ground macadamia nuts may be substituted for the ground almonds for even richer tasting cookies
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick baking liner, parchment paper, or aluminum foil
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and continue to cook it just until the butter solids at the bottom of the pan turn deep golden brown (not black); about 5-7 minutes
- Watch the butter carefully.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a small bowl, scraping the pan to get all the butter.
- Let cool slightly about 5 minutes
- Combine the chopped nuts, sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir until blended
- Slowly add the browned butter and keep stirring until well blended
- Drop the batter by a little over half teaspoonfuls 2-3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets (you should be able to fit about a dozen on a cookie sheet)
- Bake until golden brown (about 6-8 minutes)
- Let the cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes before transferring them to racks to cool completely
- Repeat with remaining batter