- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Ganache Filling:
- 1 1/4 cups cream
- 3 T brown sugar
- 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 21 oz. almond paste, crumbled into small pieces
- 7 eggs
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole toasted almonds
- 12 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 3 T sugar
- 1 T vanilla
- Chocolate Bark:
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- For ganache: Simmer cream and sugar to dissolve. Stir in chocolate until smooth. Chill until spreadable.
- For cake: Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour 3 round 9-inch cake pans, lining bottoms with parchment.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- In mixer beat butter with brown sugar. Beat in almond paste gradually until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Beat in extracts.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Divide between pans and bake 25 minutes until done. Cool.
- For praline: Line baking sheet with foil.
- Stir sugar and 1/4 cup water until dissolved in saucepan.
- Increase heat and boil until deep amber.
- Mix in nuts. Pour onto foil and cool.
- Chop coarsely.
- For frosting: Beat all ingredients just to soft peaks.
- Assemble cake starting with one cake layer,half of ganache, 1/4 cup praline, second cake layer, remaining ganache, 1/4 cup praline, and third cake layer. Spread frosting over.
- For chocolate bark:
- Line sheet with foil. Melt chocolate. Drizzle all but 1 or 2 tablespoons in wide zigzags over foil. Sprinkle 3 T praline over and chill until firm.
- Press remaining praline around bottom edge of cake, and sprinkle some on top. Break chocolate bark into pieces and stick into top of cake. Remelt reserved chocolate and drizzle over top.
NotesFrom Bon Appetit
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More