- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI am always pleased when my grandmother sends me a big tin of this at Christmas. Like a lot of candy, this needs to be made on a low humidity day.
- 2 cups unsalted Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter
- 2 TB light Lyle's Golden Syrup or Corn Syrup
- 1 1/3 cup Slivered almonds
- 12 oz Coating Chocolate (I use semi-sweet 60% and above)
- 2 oz Finely ground Blanched Almonds
- Lightly oil a medium jelly roll pan
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add sugar and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves
- Add Water and Corn syrup
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, but slowly to avoid scorching, until the mixture reaches 300 degrees on you thermometer (This is technically the 'Brittle' stage) or until the syrup becomes light caramel in color and becomes brittle when a small amount is dropped into a dish of cold water.
- With as little agitation as possible, stir in the almonds.
- This needs to be poured to a 1/2 inch depth into your prepared jelly roll pan.
- While toffee cools, heat your coating chocolate just until it melts, then spread 1/2 over the surface, once this begins to set, spread with finely ground almonds.
- Remove slab of toffee from pan, turn over and repeat on the second side.
- Once the chocolate has completely set and the toffee has cooled to room temp, break into pieces and enjoy.
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Cole Family Cookbook 2015See More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More