- Cooking Time: 2.5 hours
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 8 hours
- Almond milk
- 6 servings
- 2.1/2 cups whole peeled almonds
- 18 cupsroom temperature bottled water, you will need to 6 cups per soaking (2 times) 6 cups for blending.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Optional grounded cinnamon or vanilla seeds to taste
- Place almonds together in a large bowl that can accommodate both the almonds and the water so the almonds are covered by the water. Cover with plastic and allow them to soak 4 hours. Then change water and do the same procedure soaking for another 4 hours.
- Drain and rinse almonds with fresh water using a colander.
- Using a blender or food processor, mix the almonds with 6 cups bottled water, and add honey. Mix together using a blender or food processor (taste if you want it sweeter, add some more honey). Place the mixture back into the bowl and cover with plastic allowing it to rest for 2 hours. If you want, now is the time to add a little vanilla seeds or grounded cinnamon to taste.
- Strain the almond milk through a cheesecloth or a strainer, serve well chilled.
- Store the almond milk covered in the refrigerator. It has a possible shelf life 3-4 days when properly stored.
NotesWe harvested our almond trees in August, and we use them throughout the year. When the almonds are fresh they are juicy and not as sweet as the dry ones. In Sicily, almond milk is a popular drink and is often served at the bars together with small Sicilian assorted cookies.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More