- Cooking Time: 25 min.
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 10 min.
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped white onion
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 oz. ground sirloin, pork, turkey, or tofu
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 c. crushed tomato
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- Whole Wheat buns for serving
- red onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and ground meat to pan.
- Cook 5 minutes or until meat is browned and veggies are tender, stirring occasionally to crumble meat.
- Add carrot, chili powder, sugar, oregano, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Partially mash 1 cup of the beans with a fork.
- Stir mashed beans and remaining whole beans into the meat mixture.
- Cook about a minute or until heated.
- Serve over buns with red onion garnish.
NotesMark Bittman's Less Meat, More Flavor, Cooking Light, May 2010
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Delicious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Steamed vegetables saladSee More