- Cooking Time: 25 min.
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 10 min.
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped white onion
- 1 Tbls. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 oz. ground sirloin, pork, turkey, or tofu
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 c. crushed tomato
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can red beans, drained and rinsed
- Whole Wheat buns for serving
- red onion for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and ground meat to pan.
- Cook 5 minutes or until meat is browned and veggies are tender, stirring occasionally to crumble meat.
- Add carrot, chili powder, sugar, oregano, and red pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Partially mash 1 cup of the beans with a fork.
- Stir mashed beans and remaining whole beans into the meat mixture.
- Cook about a minute or until heated.
- Serve over buns with red onion garnish.
NotesMark Bittman's Less Meat, More Flavor, Cooking Light, May 2010
Happy Father's Day Day... Your Favorite Recipes
Watt's Cooking in PA?
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013See More
Susan's Spicy Mac And Cheese Ala Karl: Desperate Housewives
Soggy Saturday Wings by C.C. Chapman
Recipe in a Jar by Kodak Easy ShareSee More