- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love Alton!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color.
- Add egg and milk and beat to combine.
- Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar.
- Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick.
- Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking.
- If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill.
- Cut into desired shape, place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack.
- Serve as is or ice, as desired. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.