- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 T. buttermilk
- 2 T. amaretto liquor
- 1 white cake mix
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup fruit preserves, used for filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup amaretto liquor, boiled to syrup
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- For the cake, whisk together the egg whites, amaretto liquor and 2 T. buttermilk in small bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cake mix with oil and remaining buttermilk for 3 minutes on medium. Slowly add in egg white mixture and beat for another 5 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners half full with batter and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-17 minutes. Remove and cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Fill a pastry bag with fruit filling. Use a small stick and poke it into the top of each cupcake. Put the end of the pastry bag in the hole and give a good squeeze, you will see the cupcake rise at is fills. Remove and continue until all cupcakes are filled.
- For the frosting, heat the amaretto liquor in a large pan so just the bottom is covered with the liquid (this helps with the alcohol evaporation). Boil the liquor for 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter and heavy cream in mixer for 3 minutes. Add in amaretto syrup and powdered sugar. Beat an additional 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Pipe on cupcakes.