- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat chunks
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose floor
- 1 1/2 dried thyme
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 bag of frozen peas
- 1/2 bag of frozen corn
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 bottle amber lager
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- In a large heavy pot warm oil over high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, brown the meat well on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust heat as necessary to keep the meat from scorching. Transfer the browned meat to a plate.
- Precook potatoes by cooking them in microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the onions and butter to pot and stir over high heat until onions start to soften about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle sugar. Continue to cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Add flour, thyme, carrots and cut-up potatoes and raise heat to high. Stir for one minute then add lager letting it come to vigorous boil. Stir in broth and tomato paste and return to a boil.
- Return the meat and any accumulated juices from plate to pot, add peas or corn and let liquid come to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until meat is tender and sauce is slightly thickened, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
MY KIDS REALLY EAT THIS! Turner Parents Cookbook 2013
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2014
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Mama Mia ... Lentils Italian Style
Gabriola Clam Chowder
Gen's Vegetable Love PizzaSee More