AMAZING MAC AND CHEESE!!!
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8 people
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 package (16 oz.) elbow pasta (macaroni). Use whole wheat or quinoa pasta for nutrition and variety.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups (1 16 oz. “brick”) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or cut into small cubes. Use a good (and sharp) cheddar
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- [optional] finely chopped vegetables of your choice.
- Topping (optional; usually omit this)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
Partially cook the pasta, cooking only 6 minutes.
In a large pot, saute the onion in the butter and olive oil, until tender.
Season the onions with a little salt and spices of your choice.
Stir in the flour.
Gradually stir in the milk.
Cook and stir (make sure the bottom doesn’t stick!) until mixture thickens and almost comes to a boil.
Stir in the cheese, mustard, salt, pepper. Stir until the cheese is melted.
In a very large bowl (or in the pot, if it all fits), mix the pasta, the milk/cheese sauce and the vegetables.
Pour into a 9×13 glass baking dish.
[optional] The topping: Melt 2 tbsp. butter and stir in the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over pasta.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until lightly browned on top.