- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 c skim milk
- 6 oz American cheese* (about 9 slices Kraft Deluxe)
- 1 tbsp flour
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 c dried macaroni
- * if you use cheddar or other cheeses, the sauce will be lumpy. You can toss a little in for flavor (I like to top the baked version w/ a shredded colby/jack mix) but I recommend real American cheese. No cheese food product!
- Whisk the flour into the milk & pour into saucepan over very low heat. Add cheese. Meanwhile boil water for noodles. Add macaroni to boiling water. Make sure cheese sauce doesn't burn. Drain noodles when tender and add to sauce.
- - For baked m&c, prepare the same as above only increase milk to 1 cup and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. You could garnish with tomato slices around the edges, For a crunchy topping, combine some bread crumbs & parmesan cheese & sprinkle on top.
- - Brown some Vidalia onion and add to cheese sauce. Adds a nice kick.
NotesJust as easy as Kraft dinner but with nutritional content! This dish sustained me through my first pregnancy (in 2003) and was a Tuesday night ritual along with "American Idol," hence the name.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Simple Homemade FavoritesSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More