AMIE VALPONE & THE HEALTHY APPLE’S GLUTEN FREE VEGAN SWEET BALSAMIC ZUCCHINI SCONES
- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryI got this recipe from Amie Valpone from The Healthy Apple.
This was Recipe #19 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event.
If you are looking for a gluten free treat with a difference, this inspired little recipe fits the bill! These gluten free vegan scones are light and fluffy with a sweet balsamic drizzle. They strike the perfect balance between sweet and tangy for me. Furthermore, they are allergy-friendly -- gluten free, dairy free, egg free and nut free! YUMMO!
Read more about the origins of this recipe in Amie's original blog post.
Learn more about Amie Valpone at The Healthy Apple.
- 1 ½ cups brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup vegan buttery spread (Earth Balance)
- ½ cup rice milk
- 1/4 cup gluten-free cereal
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp dried fruit leather, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ½ tsp Celtic sea sea salt
- Topping: 2 tsp aged balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 / 400 degrees F.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and sea salt into the bowl of your stand mixer.
- Add in butter and mix on low.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add this to the dry ingredients and mix well until the mixture thickens.
- Add in the zucchini, flax seeds, cereal and dried fruit leather and continue to mix.
- Using a tablespoon, portion out golf ball-sized portions onto a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle each scone with balsamic and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool before serving. ENJOY!