- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 OR 1
- Preparation Time:
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbls flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
- Speck of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 large apples, McIntosh or Granny Smith (4 cups)
- 1 unbaked 10 inch pie shell
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbls flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a food processor bowl, mix the first 6 streusel ingredients.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture is crumbly; it should still
- have a dry look to it -- don't over process.
- Add the nuts then set aside. (I do this process by hand. I like my streusel in large pieces. I don't think a processor gives a great streusel. I recommend do it by hand and work the butter in)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples;
- There should be 4 cups.
- Place apples in the pie shell.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl, and add the cream and vanilla.
- Add the sugar mixture to the egg mixture and blend.
- Pour over the apples.
- Bake for 1 hour in the
- lower one-third of the oven.
- After 20 minutes, sprinkle streusel over the top and continue baking
- approximately 40 minutes longer, or until the top puffs and is golden brown.
NotesThis is one of the very first pies I ever made. It is delicious and is like apple dumpling with custard sauce. I hope you love it like I do!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Gluten Free Christmas with Gluten Free Mama
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
STUFFAT TAL-QARNIT (Octopus Stew)
Frosted Apple Cinnamon Bars
BANANA WELLINGTONSSee More