- Cooking Time: 120 minutes
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time: about 15 minutes
- 2 3-lb. whole chickens
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- juice of 1/4 lemon*
- 1 onion, diced**
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except chicken; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chickens in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish; add 1/3 cup of water.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours, basting occasionally.
- Variation: Omit onion; add 1/2 tsp. paprika and 1/4 tsp. hickory smoke seasoning to sauce.
NotesThis recipe is from 'Delicious Amish Recipes', by Phyllis Pellman Good.
*I used 1/4 cup of bottled lemon juice.
**I substituted 2 tsp. of onion powder, because I didn't have any onion.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
From Granny's Kitchen...With Love!See More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More