- Cooking Time: 120 minutes
- Servings: 8 servings
- Preparation Time: about 15 minutes
- 2 3-lb. whole chickens
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- juice of 1/4 lemon*
- 1 onion, diced**
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except chicken; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chickens in a 9 X 13-inch baking dish; add 1/3 cup of water.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours, basting occasionally.
- Variation: Omit onion; add 1/2 tsp. paprika and 1/4 tsp. hickory smoke seasoning to sauce.
NotesThis recipe is from 'Delicious Amish Recipes', by Phyllis Pellman Good.
*I used 1/4 cup of bottled lemon juice.
**I substituted 2 tsp. of onion powder, because I didn't have any onion.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Social Cookbook
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More