- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 8 to 10
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup sour milk*
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream sugar and butter or margarine together until fluffy; add eggs and beat until light.
- Sift together all dry ingredients, then add them alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture, beating well after each addition; mix in the vanilla.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 X 13-inch baking pan (I used nonstick cooking spray), bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
NotesThis cake recipe comes from 'Delicious Amish Recipes', by Phyllis Pellman Good. It can be frosted with either cream cheese or vanilla frosting (your favorite recipe or use store-bought; I used a can of store-bought vanilla frosting).
*To make sour milk, add a tablespoon of either vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk, and let it sit for a few minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More