AMY GREEN FROM SIMPLY SUGAR AND GLUTEN FREE’S DAIRY FREE BAGUETTES
- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 2 Loaves
- Preparation Time: 60
- 3 cups (369 grams Amy’s Basic Flour Blend (from Amy's website)
- 2 1/4 tsp (7 grams) xanthan
- 1 Tbsp (12 grams) palm sugar
- 1 packet (7 grams) dry instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups (289 grams) warm water
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) canola oil
- 2 extra (113 grams) large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 tsp (7 grams) kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5 grams) apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a baguette pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper if desired.
- Whisk together the flour blend, xanthan gum, palm sugar, and instant yeast, and set aside.
- Put the water, eggs, oil, and vinegar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients except the salt and mix on low until incorporated. Increase to medium high and mix for a minute.
- Turn off, add the salt, and mix for two minutes more.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Use wet hands and a rubber spatula to form each portion into a long baguette-like shape right in the well of the lined pan.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for 45 - 60 minutes.
- Put one oven rack in the center of the oven and put a pizza stone or baking stone on this rack (baking stone is optional but helps create a crusty loaf). Place the second oven rack directly below. Put a baking sheet on this rack.
- Thirty minutes prior to baking, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Just before baking, dust the top of the loaves with Amy's Basic Flour blend.
- Use a sharp, serrated bread knife or a lame to score each loaf 5 times at an angle.
- Toss 4 or so ice cubes onto the baking sheet below the pizza stone. Put the baguette pan directly on top of the pizza stone.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then slide the loaves onto the pizza or baking stone.
- Bake another 5 - 10 minutes until bread reaches an internal temperature of 205 degrees F and has become a nice golden brown on the outside.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
- To store, wrap with plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Freeze any leftovers for use later. YUMMO!
- Yields 2 loaves.
NotesI got this recipe from Amy Green at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free.
This was Recipe #26 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event.
These gluten free baguettes are PERFECT! They have a crusty outside and soft springy inside with a delightful flavour that is dairy free and sugar free as well! These baguettes would be fantastic for making gluten free bruschettas, serving with soup and salad, or for serving with some olive oil or your favourite dips! Basically, anything!
For more information about this recipe check out Amy's original blog post.
Learn more about Amy Green at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free.
Pick up a copy of Amy's first book, Simply Sugar and Gluten Free.