- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb pork, cut in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 lb spicy ground sausage
- 1/2 lb pork bones (you can get these from your butcher)
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cubes chicken or vegetable bouillon
- 2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans
- 2 cups pumpkin (butternut or acorn squash can also be used), diced
- 1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes, or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 lb green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pear, cored and diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 15 whole almonds, ground and toasted (preheat oven to 425 F, spread ground almonds on a baking sheet and toast for 1 minute)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Pat the pork cubes with paper towels to dry (this will enable browning). Fry the cubes of pork on all sides until nicely browned. Remove and set aside. Fry bones until the meat on them is browned. Remove and set aside. Fry the ground sausage until no longer pink. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Return the pork and pork bones to the Dutch oven and fill with water just until the meat is barely covered. Add the bouillon cubes and paprika. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for one hour.
- Add the pumpkin, beans, tomatoes, almonds and bread crumbs. Return to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add the Swiss chard and pears and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread.
NotesA delicious, authentic Gypsy Stew from the Andalusia region of southern Spain.
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for LunchSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More