- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryAnother Deibel family favorite! We love green bean casserole for all holiday dinners, but think it's just super great at Thanksgiving time!
- 1 & 1/2 pound green beans, (prefer fresh but can use frozen)
- 1 cup sliced baby button mushrooms
- 1 can Frenchs onions
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or safflower oil
- 1 fresh clove garlic
- 1 tablepoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup red wine or cookie sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Clean and trim green beans if using fresh
- Boil water and put green beans into pot and boil about 4 to 5 minutes - just want them to be tender.
- Remove from pot and drain, set aside.
- Heat oil separate large skillet (we use cast iron)
- Add mushrooms and garlic clove to heated oil, cook about 5 minutes
- Add salt and thyme and cooking, stirring frequently, for 1 minute
- Add wine and chicken broth to mixture in skillet and bring to slight boil
- Simmer about 3 to 4 minutes
- Reduce heat, add green beans to skillet mixture and stir gently to coat.
- Place freshly coated green beans into large casserole dish.
- Top with entire can (can you tell we like them?) of Frenchs Onions and serve!