- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Wash angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is totally grease free & soap free. Let dry completely. Sift flour and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar together three times; set aside.
- In large GLASS mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and almond flavoring; beat until soft peaks form. Peaks should be soft enough so they bend over slightly at the tips. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites, and using flat spatula, quickly but gently fold into egg whites. Repeat using 1/4 of the flour mixture each time. Pour batter into clean tube pan. Gently cut through batter with knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean, top golden brown & cracking open. Invert pan onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Frost or serve with fruit & juices.
- Butter Cream Frosting
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup butter, softened, 3 tablespoons cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Beat 2 cups confectioners' sugar, butter, cream, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together until smooth. Add more cream or confectioners' sugar as needed.
- Note - You can make this a 2 layer cake by taking a piece of sewing thread and cutting it slowly in half.Then frost or put fruit or pudding in middle.
NotesGreat Granny Biggs didn't make this much,"Too hard to trouble with." she'd say "Too fancy for us country folk."But come strawberry pickin' time,she'd trouble.
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
HKA Community Fair Recipes 2015See More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More