- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryGreat Granny Biggs didn't make this much,"Too hard to trouble with." she'd say "Too fancy for us country folk."But come strawberry pickin' time,she'd trouble.
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Wash angel food tube pan in hot soapy water to ensure it is totally grease free & soap free. Let dry completely. Sift flour and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar together three times; set aside.
- In large GLASS mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt on high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and almond flavoring; beat until soft peaks form. Peaks should be soft enough so they bend over slightly at the tips. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Sift about 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites, and using flat spatula, quickly but gently fold into egg whites. Repeat using 1/4 of the flour mixture each time. Pour batter into clean tube pan. Gently cut through batter with knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean, top golden brown & cracking open. Invert pan onto a wire rack to cool for 1 hour. Frost or serve with fruit & juices.
- Butter Cream Frosting
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup butter, softened, 3 tablespoons cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Beat 2 cups confectioners' sugar, butter, cream, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together until smooth. Add more cream or confectioners' sugar as needed.
- Note - You can make this a 2 layer cake by taking a piece of sewing thread and cutting it slowly in half.Then frost or put fruit or pudding in middle.