- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour -- sifted
- 12 egg whites -- room temperature
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon extract - any
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt and the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
- In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.
- Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry.
- Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More