- Cooking Time: 1.25 hrs
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryStrawberry season is right around the corner. Time to get your Angel Food Cake on. This recipe is from The American Woman's Cookbook.
If you're not a fan of almond extract, just omit it and use a full teaspoon of vanilla instead of the listed 3/4 tsp.
I made this in a bundt pan. I don't recommend it. If you have a tube pan or access to one...use it.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar - divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 cup egg whites (8 - 10 eggs)
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 275' F
- Sift 1/4 cup of sugar and the cake flour, 4 times. (I sifted it onto a piece of parchment paper...then emptied it back into the sifter). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt into a stiff foam. Add the remaining sugar, a little at a time, beating it in. Add in the extracts.
- Fold in the sifted flour mix, sifting yet again as you add it, a little at a time, into the egg white foam.
- Pour into a large ungreased tube pan (I used a bundt pan. not highly recommended). With a butter knife of spatula, cut through the batter to remove large air bubbles.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 300' F and bake 40 - 45 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, invert pan for an hour before removing.
- Carefully run a knife around all of the edges and remove from pan