- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 25-30 mins
BackstoryMy sister sent me this recipe and I've made a couple times. Its really good and low cal
I make a variety of this recipe almost once a week because Joe loves it, shrimp goes on sale buy one get one free all the time, and it makes for great leftovers for lunch. Plus, it is healthy and I get my pasta craving in for the week. I’ve made it with peas instead of asparagus as well. Sometimes I’ll slip in a tablespoon of butter to the sauce but it’s certainly not as healthy that way!
- 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed, quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ can (15 ounce) diced tomatoes, or the whole can if you want, just don’t use all the juice
- 2 cloves diced garlic (again, I buy a jar and keep it in the fridge)
- 12 oz large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I buy the frozen jumbo bagged kind at the grocery. To quickly defrost you just run the cold water over the shrimp in a colander and slip off the shells, and they already come deveined. Super easy.)
- 1/2 cup fat free, low-sodium chicken broth (something I always have on hand)
- 2 oz white wine
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1/2 tsp seasoning- dried basil, Italian herb grinder, whatever you want
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (gives it a little kick)
- 8 oz angel hair pasta, high fiber or Barilla plus
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. When skillet is hot, spray with oil and add shrimp. Cook shrimp about 2 minutes in each side until almost cooked through (pink) and remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium, add olive oil and garlic and sauté until golden, (about 2 minutes or less) careful not to burn. Add tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Simmer about 4 minutes. Add white wine and broth and stir. Add asparagus, salt, pepper and herbs. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes on medium low heat.
- While sauce is simmering, boil salted water and cook pasta until desired tenderness. Drain when done.
- After sauce simmers 10 minutes, add shrimp to sauce to finish cooking, about 1 minutes (Do not overcook or shrimp will get tough). Add pasta to the sauce and toss well. Mix with good grated parmesan cheese. servings.