- Cooking Time: 12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOur family has some good Bohemian blood running through our veins. I've always been told that "bohunks" really like anise flavor. I don't know if that's really true, but our family DOES love anise........
- 3 c. flour
- 2 tsp. ground anise (a generous 3/4 tsp. anise extract may be substituted. Add with other extracts. Personally? I use anise SEED and the extract!)
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large lemons (finely grated zest)
- 1/2 tsp. anise extract (generous 3/4 tsp. if you aren't using ground aniseor anise seed)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease large baking sheet. Sift together dry ingredients (4). In large mixing bowl, combine butter & sugar. Beat well. Add eggs, lemon zest, extracts. Beat until light & fluffy. Gradually beat or stir in dry ingredients. Dough is batter like in consistency. Divide in half. Shape each into log about 11" X 2". (Shaping is easiest if rolled in waxed paper before placing on cookie sheet. Yes, unlike other biscottis, this one is a bit sticky. If you use the wax paper, you can wrap it in the paper & transfer it to the pan and just unroll the wax paper right onto the cookie sheet.)
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool completely. Cut each log into 1/4" - 1/2" slices. Lay slices flat on baking sheet. Toast each side in oven 4-6 minutes. Cool.