- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 50-60
- Preparation Time: 180 (most rising time)
- 5 lb flour (she used all-purpose but I use bread flour)
- 1/2 cup very warm water
- 4 packages yeast (3 T)
- 1/2 c milk
- 1c shortening (we use Crisco)
- 1c butter
- 11 eggs plus 1 yolk (reserve white for brushing rolls)
- 1 T salt
- 1/3 c anise seed
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c warm water
- 1/4 c warm water
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add 1 t sugar to proof.
- Melt the butter and shortening in the milk over ver low heat. Cool slightly and add to yeast.
- Beat eggs and yolk into above mixture. Add the anise seed, salt and sugar.
- Mix in 1/2 of the flour mixture and stir very well.
- Add 1/2 c warm water and stir well.
- Add half of the remaining flour. Stir well.
- Add 1/4 cup warm water. Stir well if you can.
- Mix in the rest of the flour by stirring or turning the dough out onto the counter and kneading. The dough should be just non-sticky enough to handle.
- Knead a few minutes (3-5--it doesn't require a lot)
- Place in a greased bowl. Pat down then turn over so the top is greased.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm spot until double (1 to 1 and 1/2 hours)
- Punch down then pinch off balls of dough (about the size of an extra large egg)
- Roll the dough into ropes and form into spirals or bracelets or double-S shapes. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Lightly brush with remaining egg white. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees until gloden brown. Slice and spread with butter.
NotesMy mother made these every Easter when we were young. She got the recipe form a neighbor. They are very rich but oh so good! I often halve the recipe but they disappear so quickly I always wonder why I didn't make the whole batch!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Favourites from Ana's Romanian Kitchen
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More