ANNA OLSON'S CHEDDAR CHEESE BISCUITS
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: About 2 dozen
- Preparation Time:
- ¾ cup (175 ml) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 ml) cornmeal (this breaks up the texture and makes a tender cracker)
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) fine salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame seeds
- ¼ cup (50 ml) cold, unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) old cheddar cheese, grated
- Put the first five ingredients into the food processor.
- Take the butter and grate it into the food processor. (Anna puts her butter into the freezer and then uses a box grater to grate butter into the flour mixture. This is a great trick to get butter incorporated into the flour and then you barely have to mix it.)
- Give this mixture a pulse in the food processor, and then add the cheese. (You can substitute grated Parmesan or Asiago.)
- After mixing, let the dough rest, chilled, for an hour. If you wish to freeze it, now is the time.
- Roll out the dough and cut the cookies into squares, or whatever shapes you choose.
- Poke the dough with a fork to get rid of air bubbles.
- Brush with an egg wash. A sprinkle of sea salt, to taste, is good at this point.
- Bake for 13 minutes at 400 F (200 C).
- Serve with a Saskatoon or blueberry jam or compote.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More