- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1 medium pizza
- Preparation Time:
- For the mushroom pesto:
- 5 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- ¼ cup very hot water
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- For the pizza:
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, preferably a variety
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ball pizza dough
- Olive oil
- 1½ cups shredded Fontina cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- To make the mushroom pesto, preheat the oven to 450˚ F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Toss the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp, about 15 minutes. For the last 10 minutes of baking, add the garlic cloves to the pan.
- While the mushrooms are baking, soak the porcinis in the hot water for about 5 minutes. Strain out the rehydrated mushrooms and reserve the liquid.
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the roasted mushrooms, peeled garlic cloves, porcinis, shallot, thyme, parsley, and reserved soaking liquid. Process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed. Stir in the Parmesan.
- To make the pizza, increase the oven temperature to 500˚ F and preheat a pizza stone. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the mushrooms until browned and tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook just until fragrant. Stir in the wine and cook until almost completely evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round. Lightly brush the perimeter of the dough with olive oil. Spread the mushroom pesto over the crust in an even layer. Top with the shredded cheeses and then layer with the sautéed mushrooms.
- Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy BlogSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More