- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 sticks (1.5 cups) butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 eggs (Cold)
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup whole milk (VERY Cold)
- 1 teaspoon vanila extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- *eggs & milk should be cold right out of the refrigerator (not room temperature)
- Prepare large tube pan by either spraying with bakers spray (and wiping gently with a paper towel to remove excess) or greasing with soft butter & dusting with flour.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in flour, one cup at a time, alternating with milk.
- Add vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Beat on medium-high to high speed of hand mixer for two minutes, scrapping down sides of bowl.
- Carefully pour batter evenly into tube pan – use all that is in the bowl (a rubber spatula will help).
- Place on middle rack in COLD oven and bake at 275F. for 2 hours.
- Check it towards the end in case your oven cooks fast or slow.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a cake rack on the counter for about four minutes.
- Run a dinner knife around the middle and edges.
- Turn cake out onto dinner plate and then upright onto a cake plate.
- Let the cake cool before cutting – best to use a serrated knife, at least while cake is somewhat warm.
NotesHere is my mother's signature pound cake. All who knew and loved her can tell you that this was the ultimate in pound cake, and let me tell you, when you got one as a gift, you recieved the tops in gift giving.
My best memory of one of these cakes was when my 2 sisters and my best friend traveled to Maine (where I was living at the time) one early October, and carried a pound cake with them on the plane so that my twin sister and I could celebrate our birthday. As mom couldn't be there, she sent the next best thing. It, as always, was wonderful.
Annie Laurie’s Cold Oven Pound Cake is great just as it is or with chocolate ice cream on top or with strawberries & whipped cream or with fudge icing dripping down the sides… Try it with warm cooked apples, a bit of cinnamon & apple syrup. It can be frozen & thawed to serve later and is perfect to give as a gift for a job well done!