ANOTHER CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 leek, sliced in half moons
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chunked
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage and rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Cut chicken into large pieces. Combine flour and seasonings in a resealable plastic bag. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. In a deep ovenproof pot, heat 1 tablesppon oil over medium high heat. Brown half the chicken; transfer to a plate. Brown the rest in oil; remove. Reduce heat to medium.
Sweat vegetables and bay leaves in oil until softened, 5 minutes. Deglaze with wine; simmer until nearly evaporated. Stir in remaining dredging flour to coat vegetables.
Gradually add broth. Cover pot and transfer to the oven; cook for 20 minutes. While stew is in the oven, make dumpling dough.
Stir in chicken, lemon juice and herbs before adding dumplings.
Blend dry ingredients for dumplings in a mixing bowl. Heat milk and butter until butter melts; blend into dry ingredients. Shape, then drop dumplings onto the simmering stew. Shape them like golf balls. Braise in the oven until dumplings are cooked through, about 20 minutes.