ANOTHER DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Ingredients for cupcake batter:
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strong, hot coffee
- Ingredients for Peanut Butter Buttercream Filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Ingredients for Whipped Chocolate Frosting:
- 2-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for cupcake batter:
1-1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong, hot coffee
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Buttercream Filling:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1-1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Ingredients for Whipped Chocolate Frosting:
2-1/2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
Directions for Frosting:
In a 4-quart saucepan over low heat, combine the cream, and butter. Stir until the butter is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the chopped chocolate until melted. Whisk in the sugar, cocoa powder, syrup, and salt until smooth. Be sure the cocoa powder dissolves completely. Pour into a 9x13-inch pan and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
Remove the frosting from the freezer . Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed for 12 minutes to soften. Change to a whisk attachment and beat at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Directions for Batter:
1. Set rack in the middle of oven and preheat to 325 degrees F. Line a 12 slot muffin pan with large paper or foil cupcake liners.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt together 3 times.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together at high speed for 15 seconds until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time beating until each is incorporated. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 6 minutes longer. With the mixer at its lowest speed, beat in 1/3 the flour mixture. Beat in the buttermilk and vanilla, then another third of the flour. Beat in the coffee and then the remaining flour.
4. Fill the sections of the muffin tin 1/2 full and bake for 15 minutes or until the centers spring back when lightly pressed. Set pan on a rack to cool.
Directions for Peanut Butter Buttercream Filling:
1. Beat the butter and peanut butter at medium speed in a mixing bowl until blended. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 to 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
2. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a medium, plain tip with filling. Insert tip into each cooled cupcake and squeeze approximately 3 tablespoons of filling into each cupcake.