- Cooking Time: 60
- Preparation Time:
- 2 carrots peeled and small diced
- 1/2 small yellow onion, small diced
- 1/2 – 1lb bacon or your choice, diced . (I used about 3/4lb regular flavored bacon)
- 1lb green lentils.
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2-4 cups stock (chicken, veg, whatever you prefer)
- 0-2 cups water (Basically, you need 4 cups of liquid, whatever ratio you want of water to stock, I only had 2 cups of stock available)
- In a medium stock pot heat the oil and lightly saute the carrots and onions. You just want to soften them a bit, just enough to release their flavor and aroma, since they are going to get cooked further later on.
- Once the carrots and onions are ready, toss in the lentils and saute them for about 2 minutes, then add the stock and/or water and toss in the bacon, bay leaves and a pinch of salt.
- Bring it to a boil. Cover, reduce the temp to a simmer for about an hour or until the lentils start to break down into a porridge like consistency. Not all of them will break down and it will give you a nice smooth soup.
- As I said, it’s thick. If you want to make it souper just add more stock or water. Also, if you just use stock you’ll get more flavor. As well as flavored bacon (applewood, hickory, etc…) will give you a different flavor.
NotesIt’s called a ‘Scavenger’ soup because it’s made from whatever I could scrounge from the pantry and fridge that worked well with lentils and bacon.
I started with the idea that I wanted to make a lentil/split pea soup but didn’t have a ham hock laying around (who does). I did however have bacon. I figured it was pork (same as a ham hock) but had a little more salt so I’d cut back on that. Then it was a scavenger hunt to find other things to go in.
It turned out really good! Good enough that I am constantly sneaking a forkful from the fridge! And yes I said forkful, it’s that thick. In fact, I’ve thought about adding a little more liquid, maybe even some cream, and making it into a dip. Sadly the Patriots are out of the playoffs so it will have to be a movie styled dip :)
Anyway, on with the show!
--From litl developer Anthony