- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 fresh grated cocoanut
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 pound pounded sugar
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- Beat egg whites until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar and lemon extract.
- Add coconut until very thick.
- Drop onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in a quick oven until lightly golden. (375°F)
- These are delicious but don't store that well.
- Plan to eat them all up in a day or two.
NotesIn searching for the "perfect" coconut macaroon recipe, I found this in one of my antique cookbooks, circa 1840
Regular granulated sugar works fine for this. However, freshly grated coconut works entirely differently than the dried sweetened stuff. If you're going to make this, do your own grating or try unsweetened coconut.