Apostle's Fingers (orange and ricotta filled crepes)
For the crêpes:
• 1 3/4 cup flour
• 3 tablespoons of confectioner's sugar
• 3 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups milk
• Zest of 1 orange
Butter, for greasing
For the filling:
• 3 cups (750 grams) fresh ricotta
• 3/4 cups (150 grams) fine sugar
• Juice and zest of 1 large orange
• 1/4 cup of orange liqueur (optional)
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
• 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
• Dark chocolate (optional)
For the crêpes:
1.For the crêpes, combine the flour and powdered sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs and mix with the dry ingredients, then add the milk, bit by bit, to obtain a creamy consistency. Add the lemon zest. Heat a flat pan over medium-high heat and grease it with some butter. Pour over a ladle of batter and tip the pan to cover the surface with a very thin layer of batter to make paper-thin crepes. Cook the crepes until the top looks dry, then flip over briefly and set to the side on a plate. Continue making crepes until batter is finished.
For the filling and assembly:
1. For the filling, leave the ricotta to drain overnight -- spoon the ricotta into a muslin cloth (or a clean linen tea towel) set in a strainer over a bowl in the fridge. The next day, discard the leftover liquid and combine the firmed ricotta, sugar, lemon zest and juice (and if desired, one of the additions mentioned in the notes, like a handful of candied orange peel or chopped dark chocolate).
2. With the help of two teaspoons, spoon the filling, about an inch wide, across the centre of a crêpe. Roll it up tightly and cut the roll into three even pieces. Continue with the rest of the crepes and filling. Serve the crêpes with a splash of liqueur, if desired, and a dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon.
Optional: Melt chocolate and drizzle over Apostle's Fingers
Pairs Well With
I found this recipe on food52.com but it is made with lemon. My family loves things made with dark chocolate and orange so I substituted orage and added dark chocolate.