- Cooking Time: 1 hour total
- Preparation Time: 20-30 min
- 1 cup Apple cider
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Solid vegetable shortening
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 3 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp.Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- Vegetable oil or shortening -for frying (enough to fill 3 inches of frying pan)
- 1 cup cinnamon-sugar mixed
- Boil apple cider in small saucepan until it is reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes; cool. Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add eggs and mix well, then add buttermilk and reduced cider. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in another bowl. Add to liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine. Transfer dough to lightly floured board and pat to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut cutter; reserve doughnut holes and reroll and cut scraps. Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep pan 3 inches; heat to 375'F. Fry several doughnuts at a time, turning once or twice, until browned and
- cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove to paper towels with slotted spoon. While still warm, shake a few at a time in a paper bag containing cinnamon sugar. Cool on a rack.
NotesA Homemade take on the yummy donuts we all love from the Apple Orchard!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More