- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 55 minutes
- 1 tube (7oz) almond paste
- 2 large eggs (1 egg seperated)
- 2 T. four, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 or 6 baking apples, peeled and cored
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T sugar, plus more for top
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 T. sliced almonds
- Your favorite Pie Crust
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- *In a mixer bowl, beat together almond paste, 1 egg, 1 egg white, the flour and salt on high speed until fluffy, about 1 min. set aside
- *Cut apples into 3/8 inch thick slices and in a large bowl, toss with juice, sugar, ginger and nutmeg.
- *Heat oven to 350 degrees F. and place rack in lower third. Line a baking sheet with Reynalds Parchment Paper. On a floured surface, roll out pie crust dough into a 14 inch oval. Transfer to parchment paper on baking sheet. Spread almond paste mixture over dough, leaving a 2 inch border around edge. Arrange apple slices over almond paste. Fold over border, pleating dough and covering out edges of apples. Freeze 10 minutes.
- *In a small bowl, beat together remaing yolk and 2 T water. Bruch over crust. Generously sprinkle crust and apples with sugar. Top wit nuts.
- *Bake until filling is just golden and apples are tender, about 1 hour. If crust browns too quickly, cover only crust with Reynold aluminum foil. Slide galette on parchment onto a wire rack. Let cool slighly before serving. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
NotesI found this recipe in a magazine and made it for this Thanksgiving. It was a big hit.
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law Libraries
The Naked MacaronSee More
Hazelnut and Espresso Cookies
Southern Fried Pork Chops
Wine Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Braised Green CabbageSee More