- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 55 minutes
BackstoryI found this recipe in a magazine and made it for this Thanksgiving. It was a big hit.
- 1 tube (7oz) almond paste
- 2 large eggs (1 egg seperated)
- 2 T. four, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 or 6 baking apples, peeled and cored
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T sugar, plus more for top
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 T. sliced almonds
- Your favorite Pie Crust
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- *In a mixer bowl, beat together almond paste, 1 egg, 1 egg white, the flour and salt on high speed until fluffy, about 1 min. set aside
- *Cut apples into 3/8 inch thick slices and in a large bowl, toss with juice, sugar, ginger and nutmeg.
- *Heat oven to 350 degrees F. and place rack in lower third. Line a baking sheet with Reynalds Parchment Paper. On a floured surface, roll out pie crust dough into a 14 inch oval. Transfer to parchment paper on baking sheet. Spread almond paste mixture over dough, leaving a 2 inch border around edge. Arrange apple slices over almond paste. Fold over border, pleating dough and covering out edges of apples. Freeze 10 minutes.
- *In a small bowl, beat together remaing yolk and 2 T water. Bruch over crust. Generously sprinkle crust and apples with sugar. Top wit nuts.
- *Bake until filling is just golden and apples are tender, about 1 hour. If crust browns too quickly, cover only crust with Reynold aluminum foil. Slide galette on parchment onto a wire rack. Let cool slighly before serving. Serve with whipped cream if desired.