Apple Bacon Tomato Soup
5 slices bacon
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 cups beef stock
1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
salt and pepper to taste
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet.
2. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown.
3. Drain, coarsely chop, and set aside.
4. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute white onion and garlic 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
5. Stir in beef stock, pinto beans, tomatoes, celery, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil.
6. Reduce heat, and simmer.
7. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the apple in the red wine until soft.
8. Mix bacon, apple, and remaining red wine into the soup mixture.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until well blended.