- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts apple juice
- 3 quarts water
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 4 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 15 whole cloves
- 6 bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 oranges, quartered
- Bring apple juice, sugar and salt to a boil over high heat; skim foam and allow to cool to room temperature. Add remaining ingredients.
- Wash turkey throughly in cool water and place in the brine; add more water if necessary to cover the bird.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 4 days (smaller birds can be brined for 12 to 24 hours).
- Remove from brine and rinse well with cold water.
- Pat try with paper towels and brush with melted butter or olive oil; roast as usual. Makes 1 1/2 gallons of brine.
NotesOriginally posted by Mean Chef on Recipezaar. Recipe makes enough for about a 14 lb turkey.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Watt's Cooking in PA?
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Cooking for a CureSee More
Easy Chocolate Tart
Black Bean And Corn QuesadillasSee More