- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups cored and finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Almond Crumb Topping
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine (softened)
- Prepare Almond Crumb Topping; set aside.
- Heat oven to 375° F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan. In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder, and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and both sugars until blended; beat in egg. Add buttermilk and flour mixture alternately, mixing just until blended.
- Toss apple with remaining 1/2 cup flour; add to batter with lemon zest. Spread batter in baking pan. Top with Almond Crumb Topping. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely
NotesI was looking for ways to use my buttermilk; and this seemed perfect.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More